Sunday, April 7, 2013

Rules of Play Response #2: Systems


        This reading introduces us to gaming systems by using examples such as the human body, organs, and the skeletal system to illustrate how they work. A gaming system must have an organized set of rules and principles, and a general form that is common throughout the game. This is what makes the game make sense and what make’s it playable. I was a bit confused as to what the book meant, however once they used soccer as an example the concept became much clearer to me. In order for a system to work, every component of that particular system must be doing it’s part. How can a soccer team expect to win without a goalie? Without offensive players? Each player has a task, and each task must be performed in order to win. A system isn’t just the characters and the goal, but it is also the setting. For a game to be played, there must be a game space that fits the needs of the game itself. So we must remember that a gaming system encompasses objects, attributes, internal relationships, and environment.

            I feel that there must be a correlation between complexity of gaming systems and the dedication a person has to finishing them. As I said in my last post, games such as snake have an extremely simple system: there is a snake, there are the dots the snake must eat, and the only rule is that you can’t run into yourself or the wall. The system is basic, and my attention span for the game is limited. However, I am much more intrigued when I play old Pokémon games on my GBA. There is so much potential in the game, hundreds of Pokémon, numerous trainers, various minigames, and more. The structure of the game is complex and I find that I am more curious to try and progress in the game. This may also have something to do with interactivity; I have taken on the role as my virtual trainer and created relationships within the game. For the most part my path to becoming a Pokémon leader is set in the game structure, but I do have the freedom to choose to do activities on the side as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment