Sunday, October 16, 2011

Blog Assignment #2: David Ellis

Last year I met a graffiti artist named David Ellis who demonstrated his method of “live graffiti”. He basically makes a continuously changing work of art, so a piece is never really finished. When I watched him live, I kept getting upset at the fact that he would make a  beautiful painting and then immediately paint over it. However, when I did a little bit of research about his work and stumbled upon some of his Youtube videos, I was absolutely amazed. The video below shows one of his creations:



The artwork itself is visually stunning, but I feel that the editing makes it even better. The sound effects are very simple and fun, and play along nicely with the images on screen. They do not draw attention away from the moving art, but instead enhance the illusion that the art is really “alive”.  There is no smooth transition between shots; this video is more of a stop motion style of filming. The thing I like about it is that the shooting angle never stays the same, which I think helps the moving paintings look more realistic. Each shot is under a second long, and when played quickly, the delusion of movement is very successful. The cuts are obvious but in this case I feel that they are necessary to make the paintings seem life-like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment